Thursday, April 10, 2008

Money, money, money

So, I took a look at my monthly expenses a few weeks ago and realized this: I need to spend less and make more. So I have a roommate moving in soon to cover nearly half of the monthly bills (awesome). And that would be fine, except I still am not making that much money (you know, enough to buy fun things like a TV, or an XBox). So I have decided to seek more employment.

I am aiming for a server position at one of the Triangle’s many busy restaurants, because it looks like a great way to make some good money. I must have filled out 5 or 6 applications (whew) before I actually found a place that was hiring. Champp’s at Southpoint needs servers, so I talked to a manager yesterday, and am going back next week for a second interview with a guy named Prince. As a server I could make some decent money working a few nights a week, plus with some server experience I will try to get a job at a nicer and busier place (e.g. Maggiano’s, which requires 2 years experience (jerks)). Then I could wait tables and make some decent money while I figure out what the hell I want to do with my life (win lottery).

My plan right now is to earn enough to be comfortable, have money to invest (after the market bottoms out), and attend real estate school (the market is still good here in the Triangle). Waiting tables will give me the practice I need in talking to strangers (hey buddy) who will potentially give me money, which is a fine skill to have in real estate. I feel my interest in economics and business will help me, and I hope to eventually make some good real estate investments myself (slumlord). Is it what I want to do for my whole life? Probably not, but I don't think I can do science forever (boring).

So I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

No comments: