Monday, October 4, 2010

Raw Veggie Lunch

I love, love, love raw vegetables. I just ate a lunch consisting of raw broccoli and baby carrots, and it was wonderful. Crunchy, fresh, and delicious. I didn’t even use any ranch dip. I was happy to combat yesterday’s feast of greasy bar food with a crisp, clean lunch of raw vegetables.

The best thing about a raw veggie lunch is that afterwards, there is no post-lunch crash. Usually after lunch, I want nothing more than to curl up in a dark corner and take a nap. But after a raw veggie lunch, I have the energy of 10 men! Enough to write this post, that’s for sure.

Further, many raw veggies are a great source of fiber. Fiber is missing from the diets of so many Americans, myself included. This stuff is necessary to keep your digestive system working properly, and I am happy to oblige.

Most importantly of all, though, is that our bodies like raw vegetables. We evolved from raw food eating primates, who’s digestive systems are tuned to the kinds of nutrition drawn from raw fruits and vegetables. Thus depriving ourselves of this natural fuel source is like putting kerosene in a gasoline engine. Sure, it might move the engine, but you’ll run far from peak efficiency.

Ah, I feel great. I need to do this more often, but too often I fall victim to the siren’s song of greasy, delicious meats, in the form of some of my lunch time favorites: Japan Express, Chipotle burritos, Bojangle’s chicken, and the ever delicious Cheeseburger. But these always, without fail, leave me feeling like I’d just been struck by a tranquilizer dart, forcing me to pour yet more coffee down my gullet.

But today, and perhaps tomorrow as well, I have resisted the foods I love to taste for the foods I need to eat.

:)

No comments: