Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Chocolate War


The Ivory Coast produces one-half of the world's supply of cocoa.

Also, nearly a million people have fled their homes in Abidjan, Ivory Coast's main city.

I'm not sure which upsets me more: The fact that the president of Ivory Coast, Laurent Gbagbo, is killing his own citizens in an effort to stay in power power after losing the election, or that my candy bars will soon cost a few cents more thanks to disruptions in the cocoa trade.

No, I lied. I'm way more upset about the chocolate thing. So why is the UN fooling around in Libya?

Libya only produces 2% of the world's oil supply. Ivory Coast supplies half of the world's cocoa.

Clearly we need to get our priorities straight.

1 comment:

Harry Kearns said...

Well, what can I say Libya is in the spotlight and the Ivory Coast is getting the table scraps from the UN.

If they only had jet fighters.

Harry