Thursday, April 21, 2011

The College Delusion


I needed to know psychology so I could figure out what was wrong with me. So in college, I majored in psychology. I earned my degree and figured out what was wrong: I was crazy.

This information held little value in my job search. I found a job upon graduation with a professor who's lab I had volunteered in. It payed in the mid $20s, and I didn't complain, because who else would hire a freshly graduated psychology major?

I soon realized that I had no business in academia. The pace of research was too slow, and I grew bored almost immediately. I hated the job. But I stayed in it because who's going to hire a psychology major?

And now, after four years working this dead end job, academia has finally caught up to me: I'm getting laid off. And, like many recent college graduates, I find that my degree is basically worthless in the job market.

Four years, wasted. Thousands of dollars, down the drain. For what? I learned no skills. I made no connections. All I got was a piece of paper that says I attended class long enough to earn this piece of paper.

I am not alone. 45 percent of college graduates from the class of 2009 earned less than $15,000 in 2010.

The economy gets some of the blame. There just aren't many jobs. But when college grads are barely beating the minimum wage, there is a problem.

No comments: