Friday, April 29, 2011

NFL Draft 2011: Tempered Excitement


It's time to put away the usual nonsense and talk about the really important stuff: the NFL draft.

Now, I'm an NC native with Pittsburgh blood running through my veins, so I had two dogs in last night's fight. (not a Mike Vick joke)

Carolina picked QB Cam Newton with the #1 overall pick. Cam is a physical beast (6'5", 248 lbs, 4.59sec 40yd dash) and seems like a winner and a leader, but I had doubts leading up to the draft. He comes from a spread offense, so the transition to pro-style will be a rough one. And he doesn't seem like the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. But anything would be an upgrade over last year's offense, so I'm staying hopeful that Cam gets it done in both the passing and running game.

Pittsburgh picked up DE Cameron Heyward with the 31st pick. He's a Pittsburgh native, and adds yet another piece to the Steeler's already stacked front-seven. I don't know much about the guy, but he seems like a solid pick, and the Steelers rarely miss in the 1st round. However, this is pretty much the last place they needed to shore up as their run stuffing D-line and Linebacking corps is already the best in the league. I was really hoping they'd pick up a stud CB so that we could stop getting burned by good QBs, but the Steelers seem to hate drafting for need, instead picking the "best available guy." I'm sure he'll be great, but that still leaves a big hole in the secondary, which is one of the worst in the NFL.

No comments: